Study in Azerbaijan
Official language: Azerbaijani
Business languages: Azerbaijani, English and Russian
Climate: Nine of the world’s 11 climatic zones
Currency: Manat (AZN)
Time zone: (UTC+4)
About Azerbaijan – Facts you need to know about studying
Study of foreign citizens in Azerbaijan Republic, is regulated by “Regulations about study of foreign citizens in Azerbaijan universities and sending of the citizens of Azerbaijan Republic to study in abroad” approved by Decision No. 56 dated 06.01.2001 of Cabinet of Ministers.
According to the same Regulations, although foreign citizens visiting to study at Azerbaijan universities, don’t know teaching language, but they began main education after relevant language training. Just, by purpose to implement relevant language training of foreign citizens in Azerbaijan universities, training faculties, the departments and the centers are functioning in 17 universities.
Together with the citizens of regional countries that are neighbor to Azerbaijan, there are the citizens of European countries, USA, Japan, China, India, Argentine and several Arabic countries among foreign students. Foreign citizens studying at Azerbaijan, prefer the specialties like medical, economy, humanitarian and technical.
Why study in Azerbaijan?
- Quality of education – Azerbaijani universities offer high-quality education to Azerbaijani and foreign students. Alumni of local universities are successful in building their career both in Azerbaijan and abroad
- Affordable tuition fees – depending on the University, tuition fees vary from 1000 USD/year to 8000 USD/year for Bachelor, Master and PhD programmes
- Low cost of living
- Chance to learn and improve 3 foreign languages – Azerbaijan is a bilingual country and most of the people speak Azerbaijani and Russian languages. English is also widespread and a large number of young people can speak it.
- Cheap and comfortable transport system – you can get everywhere by metro, by bus (1 way – less than 0,1 USD) or by taxi (Taxi Start (Normal Tariff) – 0,9 USD, Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff) – 0,46 USD). Heydar Aliyev Baku International Airport located 20 km north-east of the capital city. Two modern bus routes are available between the airport and the city (less than 1 USD)
- Hospitable and tolerant people – there is no discrimination on the basis of religion, ethnicity, nation, sex, etc.
- Geographic location – thanks to its location on the crossroads of Europe and Asia, Azerbaijan has developed a unique culture with the elements of both continents.
- Low crime rate
- Travelling – it is easy and comfortable to travel and get visa to the neighboring (Georgia, Turkey, Russia) and European countries.
The education of foreign citizens in higher educational institutions of the Republic of Azerbaijan is regulated by the "Rules of study of citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan in foreign countries and foreigners and stateless persons in the Republic of Azerbaijan" approved by Resolution No. 125 of the Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan Republic dated May 1, 2015.
Regardless of the subordination and the form of ownership, foreign citizens have the right to get an education in educational institutions of the Republic of Azerbaijan at all stages and levels of education, as well as to study at scientific research institutions at doctoral level of higher education, and to study at Clinical Centers at residency level of medical education.
Azerbaijan Medical University, Azerbaijan University of Architecture and Construction, Azerbaijan State University of Oil and Industry, Azerbaijan State University of Economics and Azerbaijan State Pedagogical University are among the higher education institutions dominated by foreign students. Foreign students studying in Azerbaijan mostly prefer specialties like medicine, architecture, engineering, humanities.